BREAKING: Two armed men in restaurant after Las Ramblas terror attack in Barcelona in which 2 dead

TWO armed men have entered a restaurant in Barcelona after tourists were mown down in a terror attack on Las Ramblas.

Dozens of people were hit on the popular tourist strip in the Catalan capital on Thursday afternoon.

Police are trying to evacuate people from the area as the injured are cared for.

Images have emerged of people laying bloodied in the street, some appear to be dead.

A police Twitter statement asked people to remain where they are.

It said: “If you are if you are in the area of Plaça Catalunya in Barcelona stay where you are until the police says that you can get (out).”

El Pais newspaper said the driver of the vehicle had fled on foot after mowing down dozens of people.

BREAKING: ‘Two dead’ in Barcelona terror attack after van crashes into pedestrians in Las Ramblas tourist district before ‘two gunmen storm restaurant’

Two people are believed to have been killed and dozens injured after a van in Barcelona ploughed into pedestrians and two men entered a restaurant with guns.

Pictures and video emerging from the scene show police cars and ambulances near the Las Ramblas, a busy tree-lined promenade in the centre of the city.

A local reporter said gunfire was heard at the Corte Ingles store in the area after police announced a ‘massive crash’ in the area.

It is believed the van hit pedestrians outside of a kosher restaurant named ‘Maccabi’.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing people running away and screaming after the incident happened.

Spanish prime minister Mariano Rajoy said he is in contact with all emergency services and stressed the priority is to help the injured.

Armed police have also been seen rushing into the area while emergency services have asked to close Metro and train stations in the city.

One witness told Sky News: ‘It was quite terrifying. All of a sudden scores of people ran towards us, hysterical, children hysterical… first of all they said someone had been shot.

‘All of a sudden a second wave of people came down the street, we just ran, I lost my husband in the melee. The shops went into lockdown mode.’

She added: ‘We really had no idea what was going on other than that we needed to get ourselves out of there very quickly… there was just hundreds of people running away very quickly.’

Another said: ‘We were just told to run, it must have been quite close because… there was an immediate stampede to run away. We were just a minute away from it.’

The local police force was said to be evacuating the area including the nearby main square the Plaza de Catalunya.
It is also being reported that the driver of the van fled on foot after crashing into the pedestrians.

This is a developing story..

Source: Mail Online

Facebook Comments